After passing Milestone 1 for Wattdepot-apps in a passable fashion (whether it was good or not might be left to interpretation), we immediately set our sights on the next task at hand. Groups still wanting to work on their respective projects everyone was quickly overlooking the escape pod out and looking towards the building ahead. Bao, Ed, and I similarly set our sights towards the future and making the Apps more functional than ever.
Our weekly conference with our professor had led us to some interesting conclusions. First, and probably most similar to real life events, our design choice was considered and our original design concept reinstated for our next build. Much like a person moving furniture you move it to see how it flows with your overall view of the room, who then, when it doesn’t feel right, wants you move things back. A great way to find what works out for the person whose room it belongs to, a challenge for the ones moving the furniture (which in this analogy would be us). But these kinds of things happen and we took that in stride. In addition to this our priorities were shifted to work on the time updated Monitor system, which would give people an up to date report of the current values of time. Our meeting had laid the groundwork for that rather well and with it the decision that we could deal with this by splitting ourselves up into smaller groups. Ed and Bao took the Monitor in hand, and Bao and I were tasked with working out the kinks with the visualize (Bao respectfully agreeing run back and forth).
The Monitors design left to Ed I focused on the parts that were needed for the Visualizer: fixing the interface back to one horizontal bar, and getting the ability to select multiple sources down. Unfortunately both of these were met with problems. Somehow during redesign the code had malfunctioned. After analyzing past revisions I was stumped for a bit as to what the problem could be. I asked Bao to look at it as I finished the design concepts and when it was finished we both tried to find the problem. Looking over the code virtually line by line I couldn’t see what would break the code, so in an attempt considering perhaps text encoding I copied the working old version and then copy & pasted my design revisions into it to create a somehow miraculously working “Frankenstein” code. Granted the code isn’t in any means any messier than the original, it somehow fixed whatever problem was happening.
After that the next hurdle was getting the multiple sources to work. Interestingly enough I was able to convert piece by piece the singular entries to multiple (multiple sources to select, multiple query lines), but I could not find a way to store the queried data. My current problem seems to be that the queries go to slow for any assignment of them to capture, causing it to think it undefined. I plan to inquire about possible ways around this (while keeping a good structured code) at our next meeting.
The anomalies that we sometimes run into can be quite the puzzle and this week I am willing to declare it the “puzzle road block” of the week. While this latest problem with storing queries worries me I came to the conclusion of the problem much quicker than I did the code anomaly.
We’ll keep going forward, and as Ed has the basic layout for the Monitor just about set up and Bao is doing well with both positions we’ll see where it’ll take us. For now though it is just another interim build in the versions of our project.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment